Help keep your family from getting bored this summer and plan fun family outings that you can do together throughout summer vacation without breaking the bank. The most important part of planning a fun family outing is creativity and remembering it’s simply about spending time together. Here are just a few ways to spend time together during this summer vacation:
- Visit your local library. Whether you simply choose a day each week or once a month, introducing your family to the world of books allows them to open their imaginations as they enter the world of books. Many libraries also offer summer story times as well that combine story books other fun activities.
- Picnic in the park. Pack a lunch and spend the afternoon at the park. Your children will love running, swinging, and even playing outdoor games with you. This is a great way to let your kids run off some of that extra energy, get in some physical activity, as well as to spend time together as a family.
- Take a family bike ride or go on a family hike. There’s nothing quite like enjoying nature together on a family bike ride or hike. Whether you’re riding through developed city trails, or climbing a mountain enjoying nature together as a family is a great way to spend a summer morning or evening.
- Visit places within your city. Take your family on a citywide adventure as you learn about the places and spaces in your own community. From visiting important historical sites, to a trip to the local fire station. Every child, and even many adults, love visiting the fire station and climbing through the fire trucks.
- The museum. Within your community there is probably at least one museum you can visit as a family. For usually and inexpensive admission you can spend the day exploring the past together as a family as you learn about the items on display.
- Plan a family game night. Pull out those games from the closet and spend a night laughing and playing together as a family. Family games nights can easily turn into marathon games weeks as competition creeps in and family members want chances for rematch after rematch.
- Take a camping trip. You don’t have to go far to plan a great family camping trip. Even your backyard can become the great outdoors once you’ve set up a tent together. Camping is a great way to disconnect from the world and spend time together just as a family.
Whichever activity you find your family enjoying together, be sure to bring along a camera as you’ll want to catch these golden moments and memories to look back at enjoy for years to come.