Parents often make the mistake of forgetting a child’s dental health. Keeping a healthy set of teeth is incredibly important. This is especially true for kids and teenagers, who are significantly more prone to tooth decay and gum disease. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Bad looking teeth often lead to ridicule among the child’s friends and peers. Eventually, this will result in low self-confidence and social awkwardness. Some children with low self confidence will either end up being part of the “losers” or the “misfits.”
- Pain while eating and drinking. While this might not be much of a problem short-term, eventually this will lead to loss of appetite and unhealthy weight loss.
- Constant discomfort. This will result in sleeplessness, constant fatigue, and irritability.
- Bad breath. This is often caused by too many germs or bacteria in the person’s mouth.
- Lingering bad taste in the mouth. This is often caused bytoo many germs or bacteria in the persons mouth, or by several types of gum disease.
Not to worry though. There are actually several things you can do in order to avoid all of these problems. While these solutions might mean giving up a few comforts and luxuries, having a healthy set of teeth and gums is defintely worth the effort.
- Eat healthy, It’s important to eat a healthy and nutritious diet in order to have good teeth. Encourage your kids to eat healthy from all the major food groups.
- Discourage sweets. While this might be the most difficult thing to do, making your kids minimize their intake of candy bars, chocolate, and carbonated soda is very necessary for a healthy mouth.
- Brush at least twice a day, and floss at least once a day.
- Visit a competent dental clinic like Brewer Dental Center. Do this at least once a year to get a check up and cleaning.